Friday, September 17, 2010

Life (1): This is my Show!

Bon Jovi once said “It’s my life, and it’s now or never, I ante gonna live forever... I just want live my life”. The Black Eyed Peas added to the conversation with their song “Do what you want”. Pink even had a crack by stating “I don’t give a damn I don’t play your rules I make my own.... I’ll do what I want cause I can”. I want to pause for a moment and ask you, what do you consider to be the purpose and drive of your life? Generally most people of this era would answer – You are an individual; own your life; take what you want; live as much as you can because you’ll only live for 100 yrs max; if you burn some bridges, well, who cares, they had it coming to them anyway; just make the most it! Have something to show for it at the end!

We are encouraged and enticed daily by the media to spend it up, live it up and play it up. To be honest, don't we all just want to have some fun? Why not, we earned it didn’t we? We work hard during the week and deserve our just desserts. There is nothing better than an awesome holiday at the end of a hard slog at work; kicking back in the sun on a beautiful beach in the tropics. I remember just last year in the October holidays travelling with my stunning wife to Fiji. What a trip it was! We enjoyed the sun, surf, delicious food and drinks and the company of some extremely friendly hosts. I was able to watch the GF between the Eels and the Storm with over 100 crazy Fijian Jarrod Hayne fans. What a great time. Life is good that is for sure and we really need to make the most of it don’t we?

Let me point out that I am not against enjoying life, taking holidays or having fun. However, in this article, I want to share with you a passage of scripture about the Apostle Paul who views his life in a different light. Keep in mind that Paul was a former murderer of Christians and staunch hater of Jesus. He was a very intelligent man and well trained in the Jewish scriptures. One day, however, Jesus came and turned his life upside down. The following passage is taken from Acts 20:18-24 (link for the whole chapter of Acts 20), a speech by Paul:
When they arrived, he said to them, "You know how I spent the whole time I was with you, from the first day I arrived in the province of Asia. With all humility and many tears I did my work as the Lord's servant during the hard times that came to me because of the plots of some Jews. You know that I did not hold back anything that would be of help to you as I preached and taught in public and in your homes. To Jews and Gentiles alike I gave solemn warning that they should turn from their sins to God and believe in our Lord Jesus. And now, in obedience to the Holy Spirit I am going to Jerusalem, not knowing what will happen to me there. I only know that in every city the Holy Spirit has warned me that prison and troubles wait for me. But I reckon my own life to be worth nothing to me; I only want to complete my mission and finish the work that the Lord Jesus gave me to do, which is to declare the Good News about the grace of God.
Paul was radically transformed by Jesus. Previously to this, he was a sinner above all sinners who was surely condemned to hell. But by the awesome power of Jesus death on the cross, he had been forgiven of all his stuff ups and mistakes and was offered a new and fulfilling life. Paul had come to the knowledge that he owed his entire life to the man who had rescued him from sin and death. Paul now states “I reckon my own life to be worth nothing to me; I want to (paraphrasing here) do what my rescuer and master has called on me to do”.

Jesus death on the cross changes everything! Let me tell you a story that may try and relate this with you. Put yourself in this man’s shoes:
I was mowing the front lawn on a beautiful summer’s day. I was keen to get my jobs around the house done so I could take my three year old son out to the beach. He played with his ball nearby me as I mowed. Suddenly, he kicked his ball and before I could notice, he was out on the road collecting it. A car swerved to miss him and slammed into a telegraph pole. The driver sustained serious head injuries – he would never function the same again.
How would you feel if you were this father? The driver of the car had sacrificed his wellbeing for the little boy. Paul, likewise feels this burden. He had been rescued from certain peril by one loving act by Jesus death on the cross. This offer is also available to you. Have you ever considered a relationship with Jesus? He wants to rescue you for your sin. Check out this video below:


I guess we need to close with either one of two responses:

Firstly, what direction is your life taking? Is it directed towards the constant pursuit of stuff or is it aimed at living for your creator, Jesus? The bible states that our purpose in life is to live in relationship with him (for more see Christians Believe (1), but because of sin, this relationship has become fractured (for more see Christians Believe (2)  This very relationship between you and God can be mended by you turning to God, acknowledging that you have fallen away and want to be forgiven through his Son Jesus. As I said- the cross changes everything.

Or secondly, as a Christian, it is hard for you to keep in mind the words of Paul- Count you life not as your own but as Christs? But how does this play out in everyday life? I guess we need to examine our hearts. Are there idols in your life that you need to repent of- greed, work, pride? Are there things taking you away from Jesus and loving and caring for his people? Is your life everything or is Christ, yor rescuer?

I will finish with this question – What will you have to show for at the end of your life- lots of your stuff and experiences or a fulfilling and complete life with your creator? Let Jesus own your life now.

Maybe you are asking the question, ‘Does Jesus really make a difference?’ Well, below are three links to proof that Jesus transforms lives- enjoy:
Owned (1): A Rocker’s Faith
Owned (2): A Thirsty Faith
Owned (3): An Addictive Faith

No comments: