Friday, July 30, 2010

Owned (2): A Thirsty Faith

"Owned" is a series looking at how faith in Jesus has changed peoples lives. These are real testimonies to the power of God!

I didn’t grow up in a Christian home but my parents sent me to a Christian school (I think because they thought I would get more ‘discipline’ there). At high school I heard about Jesus, believed I needed forgiveness and he was the only one who could provide it …. But I didn’t want to trust or follow Jesus. I thought: if I follow Jesus, I won’t be able to have fun anymore, I can’t drink with my mates and party and God would just crowd my style. As a result I went through high school and my early university days doing what I wanted. Partying hard, pursuing sport and trying to find fulfilment in doing what everyone else was doing. But as a result, I woke up every morning after a big night feeling empty, dirty and wondering why I am on earth, what is my purpose, what happens when I die and all the ‘big questions in life’.

Around this time I met a guy at university who was a follower of Jesus and he told me the Bible had the answers to the questions I was asking. We studied the Bible together and I learnt that God created me, loves me and wants a relationship with me. One day I was at a conference and the speaker described what Jesus went through so I could be forgiven, that God sent his only Son Jesus to die for me, in my place. That he rose from the dead and is coming back to as the judge of the world. I felt like God was speaking to me that night in my Spirit, telling me he loved me, wanted to forgive me and start a relationship with me, but I had to ask for forgiveness, turn back to him and put my trust in him. That night in a cow paddock at Richmond I told God I was sorry for ignoring him and treating him like dirt. I asked him to forgive me and to come into my life. I felt such joy and peace come over me like I have never felt before. I felt Gods presence so strongly, like he was right there with me.

That night changed my life forever. I have now being following Jesus for 8 years. Those years have been full of joy, sorry, confusion, loving God, walking away from God, falling back into sin, repenting and everything in between. Throughout this God has stood by me, showed me mercy and grace and loved me. It is the most wonderful thing in the world to live life with the God of universe on your side.

No comments: