Sunday, October 24, 2010

Who was Jesus (4): Great business man, brilliant teacher or something more?

A better title for this article would be ‘who is Jesus’, but to maintain continuity in the series, I will retain ‘who was Jesus’. This is now the fourth part in the ‘Jesus’ series. If you have missed the first three articles here are links to these (Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3). Initially, I was going to write about the resurrection (see Christians Believe Part 4 if you can’t wait), which I will do in the next article, but I thought it be good to wrestle with the notion of absolute truth.

As I have already stated in previous articles, I studied at University. At uni, I learnt that modern philosophy has experienced a push towards post-modernism, which purports that there is no absolute truth. I, like many of my peers, simply accepted this understanding without surveying the vast amount of literature, which clearly argues against this theory. In time, I learnt through the bible and other great philosophers like C.S. Lewis that there is truth and we can possess this truth. I found that the claims of post-modernismists, i.e. that there is no absolute truth, are in actual fact making absolute truth claims, which they claim doesn’t exist – think about it! Is there absolute truth; absolutely yes!

The Jesus of today

Jesus, who lived about 2 000 years ago, made many massive claims which have changed the world. One of the popular views held today about Jesus is that he is one of the greatest teachers of all time. What do you think about this view? Jesus taught many great things, these would include loving your neighbour, turning the other cheek and so on. But is that it? What does the bible have to say about this?

Can we trust the bible?

Before we examine what the bible has to say about Jesus teachings, I want to address some of your presuppositions towards the bible. Firstly, the bible was written between 10 to 70 years after Jesus lived. That is easily within memory range for the authors to accurately remember the events of Jesus. Secondly, the bible is one of the most, if not the most reliable historical document on earth today. The historical events addressed in the bible align with ancient history. The shear amount of manuscripts, historical data and archaeological evidence available to scholars make it virtually one of a kind. Thirdly, our English transitions of the bible a fantastic. The bible was originally written in Hebrew, Aramaic (Old Testament) and Greek (New Testament). The English bible has been translated directly from the Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek manuscripts. You can even buy copies of the Hebrew and Greek bibles. The bible is sound and very reliable from a historical point of view. Even scientifically, the bible is solid (check out Science and Jesus Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4 and Part 5).

Jesus the great teacher or something more?

So, let’s return to the principle argument, was Jesus simply a good teacher? In my opinion, the major problem with this view is that Jesus makes many massive claims. Firstly, he claims that there is absolute truth and secondly, that he is that very truth. Therefore, if you hold to the philosophy that there is no absolute truth, then Jesus, in your opinion cannot a good teacher. Take for example, the discussion between Jesus and Pontius Pilate in John’s gospel (John 18:33-38):
So Pilate entered his headquarters again and called Jesus and said to him, "Are you the King of the Jews?" Jesus answered, "Do you say this of your own accord, or did others say it to you about me?" Pilate answered, "Am I a Jew? Your own nation and the chief priests have delivered you over to me. What have you done?" Jesus answered, "My kingdom is not of this world. If my kingdom were of this world, my servants would have been fighting, that I might not be delivered over to the Jews. But my kingdom is not from the world." Then Pilate said to him, "So you are a king?" Jesus answered, "You say that I am a king. For this purpose I was born and for this purpose I have come into the world--to bear witness to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth listens to my voice." Pilate said to him, "What is truth?"
Crunch time for the truth

At this point in the gospel, Jesus had been arrested and put on trial by Pilate, who was the Roman governor in Jerusalem. Pilate eventually sentences Jesus to be crucified on a Roman cross. The point that I am trying to make by using this passage is that Jesus claims three massive things:
  • Firstly he claims to be God -
    Jesus answered, "My kingdom is not of this world. If my kingdom were of this world, my servants would have been fighting, that I might not be delivered over to the Jews. But my kingdom is not from the world." (John 18:36)
  • Secondly, he claims to have come into the world to be crucified –
    "You say that I am a king. For this purpose I was born (John 18:37), and
  • Thirdly, he claims to bear witness to the truth,
    For this purpose I was born and for this purpose I have come into the world--to bear witness to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth listens to my voice." (John 18:37)
  • Finally, the very same author of this text adds that Jesus is that very truth he came to bear witness to
    For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ (John 1:17)
Sadly, in this discourse, Pilate makes a massive error, which is the very same error that modern day philosophy makes, that truth is transient and not fixed. Jesus is clearly in opposition to this notion when he says “I came to bear witness to the truth”, as he firmly teaches the existence of truth, which is found in him only!

Do you still think Jesus was a good teacher because if you do, I want to challenge you with the four points listed above. Jesus clearly taught that he is the truth and that he was crucified for this. So what is this truth? Jesus, who is fully God, came into human history to die for broken sinners like you and I. As a result, his death cleanses us from all our guilt if we trust in him and live for him. Was he a good teacher? My answer is a firm yes, because he is my life! So, I challenge you to put your trust in Jesus, who is the truth!

No comments: