Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Chronicles of Narnia: More to the Story


I have converted. Not between beliefs, but from being a non-reader to a reader. I would never read for enjoyment or pleasure. My eyes would become heavy and my concentration would drift elsewhere.

However, recently there has been a series that I literally cannot put down. I find myself staying up, very awake and focused on a wonderful novel. It all started when I listened to the audio CD of the Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader. Once I listened to that I got myself a copy of the books. Then the rest is history.

So far, the books absolutely captivate me. I feel taken to another world. C. S Lewis is a master with the pen. The books are allegory to the Christian life. Aslan is Jesus, Narnia is one of his kingdoms and the Children are humans like us. Lewis has an amazing insight into the love and character of God so naturally you fall in love and respect of Aslan.

The book holds many messages that the reader learns from the characters journeys. For example, in The Silver Chair, a girl called Pole is given four signs to remember and follow to lead her in a quest. She balked at the first sign out of fear. She stuffs up another sign by being distracted by the thought of comforts in a Giants castle. I find myself thinking; how is fear stopping me from following Jesus commands? How is comfort distracting me from my purpose?

What is interesting is the C. S. Lewis was an Oxford Scholar whom was a bitter atheist. However, interactions with people like J. R. R. Tolkein help Lewis to see that Jesus was Lord. Lewis was transformed from a Godless man to a great Christian leader for is generation and beyond.

The books are thin, only about 190pages each. They are great for reading to your children. It is a creative way of instilling Christ's values into them. They are also available in an audio format to listen to in the car. Apparently I’m not the first to like them.Wikipedia reckons that 100million copies have been sold!

No comments: